Icemen Whip Red Raiders, 7-2

By Nick Wurf, Special to the Crimson

HAMILTON, N.Y.--The Harvard men's hockey team smashed Colgate last spring, 10-2, in the second game of the two squads' ECAC quarterfinal matchup.

In the middle of that game, trailing 5-1, the Red Raiders decided to get a measure of revenge--with their fists--and precipitated a brawl that left the Crimson battered, bruised, and without the services of Captain Brad Kwong in the following weekend's semifinals.

Last night here at Starr Rink, the Crimson continued its torrid play against its erstwhile sparring partner, ripping Colgate, 7-2, in fromt of more than 2000 fans.

The Crimson, which has won all seven of its Starr Rink appearances, upped its record to 5-1 in the ECAC (5-1-1 overall) and maintained its half game lead over second-place Yale and Vermont.

Tomorrow afternoon, the Crimson will showdown against Cornell (3-1-1 ECAC). The Lynah Rink shootout is the highlight of every year in Ithaca, N.Y., and the Crimson has to play its best if it hopes to tip the powerful Big Red in its own barn.

"It looked like good old Harvard hockey tonight," Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said after the contest. The Crimson showed the same spark that pushed it to a 4-4 tie with Boston College 11 days ago, and seemed to have recovered from a lackluster 9-2 victory over Dartmouth last Friday.

Plastering Red Raider goalie Dan Delianedis with 54 shots last night, the Crimson gave every indication that it is ready for the Red.

Colgate, 2-3-1 ECAC, clearly missed All-Conference goalie Jeff Cooper, who graduated last year. Without the outstanding backstop in net, the Raiders were completely outmatched by the visitors.

The icemen notched two early power play goals, three on the evening, in a fine offensive act.

The Crimson had to do it without first line wing Lane MacDonald, whose spearing penalty at Dartmouth disqualified him last night. MacDonald's older brother Lowell plays for Colgate, so the ruling was especially disappointing for the MacDonald clan.

Once again, the Crimson's second line of Killer B's--Allen Bourbeau (one goal, one assist) and Tim Barakett (two goals)--was especially effective early on.

The entire Crimson squad got into the act, however, including Captain Scott Fusco, who notched four assists after some disappointing efforts in his last three games.

"I've had a couple of sub-par games," Fusco said. "I had to get out there and work. I've been letting the wings do too much.

"I should have had a bundle of goals."

Just one would have tied the Harvard career record of 91 held by Bobby Cleary '58, but that mark will stand at least until tomorrow.

The main beneficiary of Fusco's improvement was senior wing Tim Smith, who snapped a two-game scoreless streak with a pair of tallies. Nick Carone and Mark Benning (with his first of the year) got the other goals for the icemen.

Freshman Chris Biotti, a first-round NHL draft pick last June, finally got on the scoreboard for Harvard with two assists for his first collegiate points.

Defensively, the Crimson was also strong, killing penalties particularly well and getting another good outing from senior goalie Grant Blair, who racked up 18 saves.

Blair had a bid for a Harvard record eighth career shutout going into the final period, but his evening was spoiled when Paul Jenkins shot 48 seconds into the final stanza. The puck rebounded into the net off the skate of Crimson defenseman Randy Taylor.

Just four minutes later, Blair--who is suffering from a strained back--left the game in favor of sophomore John Devin. In his first outing of the young season, Devin made three saves and allowed the final Colgate goal (by Mike Bishop) en route to wrapping up the victory. Crimson, 7-2 at Starr Rink Harvard  3-2-2--7 Colgate  0-0-2--2

First Period--1, H, Allen Bourbeau 8 (Tim Smith, Mark Benning) 4:09. 2, H, Tim Barakett 4 (Scott Fusco, Bourbeau) 11:50. 3, H, Smith 5 (Andy Janfaza, Chris Biotti) 18:14.

Second Period--4, H, Benning 1 (Fusco) 0:42. 5, H. Nick Carone 2 (Fusco, Pete Chiarelli) 13:04.

Third Period--6, C, Paul Jenkins 4 (Doug Davis, Greg Drezhsel) 0:48. 7, H. Barakett 5 (Biotti) 1:35. 8, H, Smith 6 (Fusco, Benning) 5:04. 9, C, Mike Bishop 4 (Gary Mitchell, Brad Martel) 11:08.

Saves--H, Grant Blair 9-8-1--18, John Devin x-x-3--3; C, Dan Delianedis 19-18-10--47.