Icewomen Persevere, Hold Off UVM, 4-3

By Mark Brazaitis, Special to The Crimson

BURLINGTON, VT.--The Harvard women's hockey team found four ways to skin the Cats Saturday at Gutterson Arena.

But it almost wasn't enough.

Because although the Crimson (3-2 overall) carried a 4-1 lead into the final period, in the end only goaltender Jennifer White--who gave up a pair of goals at 4:46 and 4:40 of the third stanza--could hold her exhausted squad together and lift Harvard to a 4-3 victory over a less talented but more aggresive University of Vermont team (2-3).

"When they got two goals six seconds apart, the momentum changed," Crimson Coach John Dooley said. "We were in trouble."

But White, who turned back several Catamount slapshots in the final two minutes of action to salvage the win, prevented a disaster.

"The only thing that's been constant this season is Jen White," Co-Captain Julie Sasner said.

Harvard's three unanswered goals at the beginning of the contest almost sent the 40 shivering spectators who turned out for Saturday's matchup home early.

With seven minutes gone in the first period, Crimson center Johanna Neilson took a pass from Christine Burns just inside the blue line and pumped a shot through the Cat defense and past UVM goalie Diane Bothfeld for the first score.

Neilson and forward Lisi Bailliere teamed up for the next goal at 1:19 of the second period.

Neilson slid a pretty pass to Bailliere near the blue line. The freshman skated to within two feet of the Cantamount net and slipped the puck by Bothfeld into the right corner of the net.

Two minutes later, Harvard forward Karen Carney managed to wrest the puck from a crowd of Vermont defenders near the Cat goal and flick it into the twines for a 3-0 Crimson advantage.

The two teams traded goals late in the second period. By then, however, the Cantabs were visibly tired.

"Some of the kids are not in good condition yet," Dooley said.

Vermont took advantage of the sluggish Crimson defense to pump in two goals with 13 minutes left in the contest.

"We got a little lackadaisical," Sasner said. "And they were really physical."

But from then on, White--with a handful of scrappy saves--turned back the Cat attack to give Harvard its second straight victory.

"Our goaltender is always steady," Dooley said. "In my opinion, she is the best in the Ivy League."

The Crimson (1-2 Ivy) won't face its next Ancient Eight opponent until January 5, when the Cantabs travel to Hanover, N.H., to battle Dartmouth.

But in the meantime, Harvard faces tough home contests against Providence Tuesday and New Hampshire Thursday.

Vermont, which only gained varsity status this year, comes to town for a rematch Saturday.

And the icewomen hope that this time they will truly skin the Cats, instead of escaping with victory by the skin of their teeth.

THE NOTEBOOK: Crimson forward Brita Lind sat out Saturday's game with an injured knee. She won't be ready to play until January. Crimson, 4-3 at Gutterson Arena Harvard  1-3-0--4 Vermont  0-1-2--3

First Period--1, H, Johanna Neilson (Christine Burns) 6:22.

Second Period--2, H, Lisi Bailliere (Neilson) 1:19. 3, H, Karen Carney (unassisted) 3:56. 4, V, Jennifer Hanrahan (Lisa Borre) 4:01. 5, H, Carney (Amy Hartung, Julie Sasner) 13:29.

Third Period--6, V, Sheila Barch (Hanrahan, Borre) 4:40. 7, V, Borre (Barch) 4:46.

Saves--H, White 6-11-5--22; V, Bothfeld 11-12-15--38.

A--40 and several styrofoam cups

A--40 and several styrofoam cups