Northeastern Takes Pot

Northeastern skated to its second consecutive Women's Beanpot championship last night, and its fourth title in the seven-year history of the tournament.

In what came as no surprise, the highly favored Huskies routed Boston College, 7-0, in the nightcap at Bright Center.

Northeastern defeated Harvard last week, 8-2, to advance to the championship, while B.C. scored a 4-0 decision over Boston University in the opening round.

Blueliners Beth Murphy and Nina Koyama each chipped in a pair of tallies, while Stephanie Kelly contributed a goal and two assists while pacing the Huskies to the championship.

One bright spot for the Eagles, who only managed six shots on goal, was the play of backup goalie Jackie Cain, who replaced starter Sue Hughey in the second period.

Cain stopped 31 of the 33 shots that came her way, slowing considerably the Husky offense.

Hughey, in contrast, failed to make the save on five of her 11 chances.

The tournament's MVP award was awarded to Northeastern left wing and co-captain, Jill Toney.