Cagers, Penn Battle Tonight for Ivy Lead

For more than a month now they've been calling it a fluke. And tonight, the members of the Penn men's basketball team will get a shot at vindicating themselves.

Almost five weeks to the day since Harvard shocked the Quakers, 77-75, Philadelphia, the two team will square off at 7:30 p.m. tonight in Briggs Athletic Center.

And this time the Quakers promise, things will be different than the "77-75fluke,"

At stake is first place in the Ivy League and the opportunity to become the frontrunner in the race for the 1985 Ancient Eight crown

The Quakers-whose only Ivy defeat came on that cold January night a little over a month ago-will haul a 6-1 League mark into the crucial showdown. The Crimson, meanwhile, will tote a second-place 6-2 mark into the 107th meeting between the two clubs.

A Harvard victory tonight coupled with last month's upset in the Palestra-would mark only the third Crimson sweep of the Quakers in history. The last came in 1941-42, with the other coming the year before.

But to garner a win tonight, Harvard (14.4) will have to stop a Penn club (9-10 overall) that's won six Lvy games in a row. The Quakers, the league's highest scoring team are led by zuards Perry Bromwell and Karl Racine.

Racine, averaging 16.1 points per Ivy game, is Penn's only player in the top 10 in Ivy scoring, but that's balanced attack than anything.

Harvard, like Penn, will look to two players to spark its attack Senior Co-Captains Joe Carrabino and Bob Ferry will lead a Harvard club that's been slumping of late.

"Hopefully we can break out of this slump and out stride again," says Carrabino, who needs just 40 points to become the Crimson's all-time leading scorer.

Plenty of tickets for the contest are available Students can exchange coupon 22 for a free ticket at either the Harvard Athletic Ticket Office during the day or at Briggs tonight.

THE NOTEBOOK Harvard Coach Frank Mel aughim will be looking for his 99th win as a head coach tonight...Quaker Chris Elzey has a stained right root, but is expected to play...Princeton visits Briggs tomorrow night...Harvard, which earlier this season swept Penn Princeton on he road for the first time ever, bas never finished a season 4-0 against the Quakers and Tigers...Cornell, currently tied with Harvard for second place, is at Yale-Brown this weekend. Harvard has won eight at his nine home games.