Sports Wrap

Men's Squash

In a surprisingly easy triumph, the Harvard men's squash team rolled over Penn, 9-0, Saturday afternoon at Hemenway Gym.

"We expected a tougher match," Darius Pandole, the Crimson's number three player, said.

Pandole's match typified Harvard's smooth afternoon. He gave up only 15 points in winning three-games-to-none over Penn's Peter Lubovitz.

The Crimson had expected to be tested by Penn. The Quakers have scored several impressive wins this season, including a 5-4 victory over Yale. In addition, Harvard, because of its current number one national ranking, is a special target to every team it plays.

"Penn's a really good team," said Co-Captain David Segal, a 3-1 victor at number eight. "They were really hungry for us."

The Crimson was also vulnerable because of its final-round losses last weekend in the U.S. National Amatuer Championships in New York City. The Crimson's "A" team lost in the finals of the five-man team competition to a strong squad from Mexico, while in the men's singles open division, Co-Captain Kenton Jernigan, Harvard's number one player and a heavy favorite to win a record-tying fourth open championship in a row, was the victim of a stunning upset by Yale's Hugh LaBossier.

"This was one of the slowest weeks of practice," Segal, who played on the losing "A" team, said. "We were disappointed about not winning in New York, and Kenton's loss in the finals didn't help morale much, either."

The team concludes its season this weekend at Penn at the intercollegiate championships.

Men's Fencing

The Harvard men's fencing team defeated Cornell, 18-9, in Ithaca Saturday afternoon. The win raised the Crimson's record to 14-1 overall, 3-1 in the Ivy League, and assured it of at least a tie for second place in the Ivies.

Harvard was led by an outstanding effort by its epee team. The Crimson gained a 9-0 decision when Jim O'Neil, Co-Captain Luca Cicchetti and Thor Wilbanks each won all three of their individual bouts.

"It's almost unheard of to go 9-0 in the Ivy League," Co-Captain Jeff Levy said. "The Ivy League is far and away the strongest [fencing] league in the country."

Harvard's foil squad also won, taking a 6-3 decision from the hosts. Ray Carthy led the way, going 3-0 in his indiviual bouts. Levy contributed two victories in his three bouts.

Women's Fencing

The Harvard women's fencing team defeated Cornell, 12-4, in Ithaca Saturday afternoon to gain its first Ivy win. The victory upped the Crimson's record to 10-5 overall and 1-2 in the Ivy League.

The team was paced by freshman star Penelope Papailias, who won all four of her individual bouts.

Anita Hawkins also fenced well, taking three out of four of her individual bouts.

The Crimson also won the New England Women's Team Fencing championship yesterday at Boston University, with Wellesley finishing second and MIT third.

In addition, Cantabs Penelope Papailias (who eventually finished first), Kristina Perkin (second) and Captain Giulia Cicchetti (fifth) all reached the championship round.