Science Center Fountain Beset By Problems

Wind, weather and the commonplace headaches of sophisticated technology have kept the anonymously donated Science Center fountain from functioning as expected this winter.

The 150 native New England boulders, arranged in a 60-foot circle, cage 70 spray jets which ordinarily "produce a fine spray which will refract natural light, producing a rainbow effect," according to a press release, issued last year when the construction of the fountain was announced.

But the Harvard community is still awaiting the first burst of steam this winter as a custom made steam meter, ordered from a Washington contractor over two months ago, has yet to be installed, said George Oommen, senior project development officer for the Harvard University Planning Group.

He added that the recent warm weather has also prevented fountain operation. The fountain, which runs in the winter by spraying steam at 180 degrees, cannot operate when air temperature exceeds 40 degrees as the steam will not condense and will dangerously heat the spray jets, Oommen explained.

A test of the fountain last Monday and Tuesday revealed that winds above 15 knots blow away the water vapor, ruining the fountains rainbow affect, Oommen said.

Temperature and wind sensors are in the process of being calibrated, but Oommen said he doesn't expect the fountain to operate again until mid-April when water, rather than steam, will fuel the fountain's rainbow effect.

"This fountain is the first of its kind in the world, and we want to be very careful and deliberate so as not to hurt anyone," said Oommen, adding that he expects the fountain to be fully functional by next winter.

The fountain, which was designed last year by Peter Walker, former chairman of the Landscape Architecture Program at the Graduate School of Design, is endowed by its donor for six hours of running time a day, according to Oommen. Oommen did not comment on the amount of money saved or lost due to the fountain's inactivity over the winter.