Field Hockey Coach Mabrey Resigns

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

Citing family commitments, Harvard field hockey Coach Edie Mabrey yesterday announced that she is stepping down from the position she has held for the years.

"Basically, it's just personal reasons," Mabrey said of her impending departure. "I have a family now and they need me."

'A mother of one, Mabrey is expecting her second child in early June.

"I'm going to be a full-time mother for a while," the 1976 graduate of Middlebury College said.

"I'm planning to return to the work world in the future but not necessarily to Harvard or to coaching," said Mabrey, who in her six years in Cambridge turned a once fledgling program into a contender for the Ivy crown.

Mobrey compiled a 39-41-10 overall record in her six years at Harvard, with her best season coming in 1982.

That year, the Crimson posted an 11-2-3 mark, equalling the Harvard record for most wins in a season. Harvard finished one game out of first place in the Ivy League that year.

A year ago, the Crimson improved on its 1982 finish, ending up just one half game behind league champion Penn.

This year, though, the squad that many considered the finest in Mabrey's tenure finished a disappointing 5-10, and fell to next-to-last place in the Ivy League.

In a prepared statement, Harvard Athletic Director John P. Reardon '60 said "Edie's energy and enthusiasm for her work and life made everyone in the department feel better for coming in contact with her. Edie is an outstanding person and will be missed by all of us."

Reardon said that a search for Mabrey's successor has not yet began and that he doubts a decision will be made before May.