But What Do I Wear?

How to Dress For Your Summer Job Interview

By Jennifer L. Mnockin

Your resume is impressive your references are great and your interview for that excellent summer job is in one how you're calm and collected until you took in your closet and pandic thinking "what should I wear?

Obviously what you wear to job interview depends to some extent ton just hat kind of job you are trying to get. And the importance of your varies according to the type of job.

For some jobs you'll be happy to near what attire you don at that all important interview may not make a difference.

As long as you don't wear paisley with paisley it doesn't matter says Wayne A Jefferson director of Test Prep Services in Cambridge. "We hire out people used on their intellectual abilities and what they wear is up to them as long as it's not shabby.

At the Squash Club an applicant should look "casual and sporty. You come in sneakers and maybe a white sweatshirt-something that shows you're athletic, says clerk Bernadette Thompson "You shouldn't wear a lot of jewelry or make-up.

Frank L Jones a clerk at Benetton an Italian sportswear store says that an applicant shouldn't dress like I dressed I came in a suit and tie and I was told I was very overdressed.

Instead Jones suggested sweaters jeans and sneakers or penny loafers, noting that on the job dress there is casual, with some employees wearing torn T-shirts.

A bartender at Grendel's Restaurant who gave an applicant clothing harldy matters at all. When applicants come to interview Justine says. We look at their eyes we might also notice what they're wearing but its relly mostly their face their being their eyes.

But if Grendel's believes that eyes are the reflection of the soul many other employers would attribute that role to clothes.

For many jobs you should wear to your interview clothing what you'd wear on the job with neatness and cleanliness being key business people say.

I'm not particular as to what style of clothing an applicant wears as along as its near clean organized and represents of sense of who he is says David L. Malakpour general mangager of Emack & Bolio's Harvard square ice cream store Seeing how a person dresses let's you what he's like.

Malekpour adds that certain extremes in dress any reduce a person's chances at a job. If they re all propped out I'll think they might not want to get dirty and if they re too punk. I'll think they might not like me telling them what to do he says but adds that the mostly makes his judgements based on how an applicant talks to him.

At Pappagallo's store popular among females at the Business School who need traditional clothing for their job interviews an applicant must be well-groomed and not wearing dungarees. We don't require designer clothing, but it can't hurt to be exceptionally well-dressed," says a clerk there.

At Dom's Italian Restaurant in Cambridge, neatness and tastefulness are the important criteria. "An applicant for a position in the dining room must be very neatly groomed--his clothes, his shoes, his hands, his hair," says owner Dom A Capossela. What kind of clothing an applicant wears isn't so important, out "it must be tasteful and stylish."

Likewise, at The Ski Market, a store that sells spoting goods, neatness and appearance count the most, says Manager Anne D. Cole. Clerk Lisa L Buckner adds that "If you had a mohawk, you probably wouldn't get the job."

Cole emphasized that just because it is a sporting goods store, an applicant need not look like a jock. "You don't have to look like a skier. Khakies and a tie are good for a guy, a skirt or nice wool pants for a girl.

Jimmy Lewis, owner of Elite Limousine Service in Boston, says applicants there must wear "a three-piece black suit, a sharp white collar, a solid black tie, and very well polished black shoe s. They must have short hair, preferably not have a beard or moustache, and their suit must be very, very, sharp." While the may sound like an awful lot of dressing up. Lewis says that this is basically what a chauffeur wears on the job.