Theses In, Seniors Up

By Jennifer L. Mindokin

In attire ranging from blue jeans and a t-shirt to a tuxedo and pink bow tie, about 80 History and Literature concentraters yesterday climbed the steps to Burr Hall to turn in two semesters worth of blood, sweat and tears in the form of their senior theses.

They celebrated being the first seniors of the semester to turn in their 40-60-page theses with champagne, flowers and potato chips.

Stephanie La Tour '85 said, "I'm really glad that we had a March 1 deadline, because even though I didn't get a winter vacation, now I have two months," adding that she planned to "drink, sleep, and make money."

Drunk with Delight

Within one hour after the 5:00 p.m. deadline, the small department had shelled out two full cases of champagne, according to Head Tutor Jane R. Burbank.

"This is the greatest day of my life," David H. Pollack '85 said. Tom A. Gilson '85 added. "It seems sunnier outside, 20 degrees warmer, and the world seems a friendlier place."

"I got to catch up on my soap operas today, for the first time in four months," said Rebecca J Joseph '85.

Other departments' theses will be due soon, many of them right before spring vacation. Burbank said one of the reasons for History and Literature's due date being well before most of the others is that the required length is relatively short.

Computer Revolution

Burbank also said that word processors had gained popularity among History and Literature seniors. "This is the year of the computer revolution. More students than ever before are producing their these on word processors, so we expect to see a wide victory of type faces and fortunes."

Javan T. Bunch '85 said, "I think we're all numb. Suddenly, between all of the No-Doz and the computer paper, something came out and now we're drinking champagne."

"I've been obsessed with the same topic for two years," said Julie A. Alverez '85. She said she plans to continue her obsession, but thinks she'll "take a leave of abscence from the topic for a while."

For Debby Kantar '85 and Anne L. Terman '85, having their theses behind them wasn't enough. "It feels great...but we'd rather be in Paris," they said.