Lacrosse Squads Spring Into Action...While Batsmen Break it Open in Calif.

Laxwomen's NCAA Hopes Dashed Despite Ivy Success

Spring Break included a week of for the Harvard women's team, but a disappointing yesterday could mean another first the squad would rather do without.

A shocking 13-2 loss yesterday to the nation's second-ranked Maryland squad could keep Harvard out of the NCAA playoffs for the first time in five years.

That's because yesterday's devestating loss--coupled with a pair of earlier to other highly ranked teams--means Harvard now would need to cop one of four NCAA . A recent NCAA decision this year will limit to four the number of teams that receive the prestigious postseason tournament invitations.

"Miracles have happened before," said Crimson Captain Ellen O'Neill. "But we know [yesterday's loss] hurt."

Unfortunately for the Cantabs, that defeat--one of the worst in Harvard history--obscured an otherwise week for Crimson club.

Impressive wins over Penn, William & Mary and Princeton--wrapped around an equally impressive 13-8 loss to top-ranked Temple--all included several firsts for the seventh-ranked Harvard squad, now 3-3 overall and 2-0 Ivy.

Take, for example:

A 15-5 triumph over Penn on Soldiers Field on the first day of Spring Break that marked one of the few times in recent history Harvard had beaten the Quakers by more than one goal.

A 9-4 defeat of William & Mary Last Monday that marked Harvard's first win over the Indians in three tries.

And Saturday's 17-4 thrashing of Princeton that marked Harvard's first victory at Princeton since 1981.

The two Ivy victories were Harvard's most impressive and left the Crimson as a strong favorite to cap its fifth consecutive Ancient Eight crown.

"We're really happy with where we are in the Ivies," said O'Neill, an integral part of a Harvard club that has won 16 Ivy contests in a row.

In last Saturday's Ivy opener against Penn, the hosts portrayed 11 first half shots into 10 goals. Harvard took a 10-1 advantage into halftime before showing some second half .

Harvard's Ancient Eight dominance continued Saturday in New Jersey, where the visitors showed almost no mercy en route to their 13-goal margin of victory.

In between the two Ivy triumphs, Harvard bes a highly touted William & Mary squad and just fell short at top-ranked Temple.

All told, that left the holding a 3-2 overall record entering yesterday's showdown with Maryland in Princeton.

But the Crimson--which because of the recent NCAA postseason ruling found itself in a must win situation yesterday--never found its rhythm in the meeting with the Terrapins.

"Everybody knew we had to win," said Crimson -Captain Krickett Johnson. "But we never got together.

"I feel terrific about Penn and Princeton," added Johnson, "but as far as Maryland and Temple are concerned, we needed to prove we could play with the big boys. We didn't."

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson returns to action tomorrow night at Boston College... Harvard has now lost more games than it did all of last season...In two league contests, the have scored 32 goals. They scored 66 in Ivy games a year ago... Yesterday's loss was Harvard's worst since a 14-2 thras at the hands of Ur six years ago. Harvard dropped a 15-6 decision to Loyola in is season opener this year that before yesterday held the distinction of worst loss since the 12-goal loss to .

Take, for example:

Take, for example:

Take, for example: