Laxmen Foiled by Bulldogs Yale Edges Crimson, 9-8

By Emil E. Parker

The Harvard men's lacrosse team lost another heartbreaker at Ohiri Field Saturday, falling a goal short of topping seventh-ranked Yale, 9-8.

In yet another well-played contest against one of the 10 nationally ranked teams on Harvard's arduous 14-game schedule, the Crimson remained in the game until the final whistle, when a last second shot failed to tie a thrilling game.

Yale opened the scoring with two consecutive goals by Ted Moran, at 10:97 and 6:39 of the first quarter, before Crimson attacker Chris Pujols answered with 5:31 to play in the period.

With the score 2-1 midway through the second quarter, defenseman Bill Pennoyer's superb escape from several trapping Yale defenders set up the tying goal by attacker Peter Follows.

Harvard Coach Bob Scalise attributed the lack of scoring in the first 20 minutes to the rightness of the two teams.

Yale overcame its rightness in a three-goal explosion in a 1:04 span in the second period, set off by a goal with five minutes to play by Adam Puritz and ending with a final score by Doug Gansler.

Pujols halted the Yale run with his second goal, assisted by Rob Hawley, with just 2:21 felt in the half.

Yale's two scores in the first five minutes of the second half dropped Harvard into a 7-3 hole, the sort of hole Harvard has had to right out of all season.

Harvard began its climb out with goals by Pujols and Garcia to close out the third period down 7-5.

Co-Captain Steve voelkel notched a clutch goal with only a half a minute gone in the final period to cut the Eil advantage to one.

Then came yet another thrilling fourth period form the laxmen. As Co-Captain Rob Hawley said. "All our games come done to the wire. All can be decided in the fourth period,"

Yale's Puritz put Bulldogs up, 8-6. Paul Garavente's goal, get set up by Hawley, gave Harvard a one-goal deficit and the momentum to tie the score.

A two minute penalty on Voclked with 10:10 to pay appeared to doom the Harvard comeback. But tremendous play by the defense killed the penalty and left Harvard still one tantalizing goal short with eight minutes remaining in the game.

After five scoreless minutes, Yale ended the waiting with a goal with 3:12 left. Harvard, apparently, was finished.

But the lakmen were not ready to leave the field just yet. Time would down to the final minute, the final 30, the final 10 seconds. Defenseman Joel Mendelman launched as hot form his own side of the midfield line which miraculously bounced into the Yale goal with six seconds remaining.

Mickey Voltz won the ensuing faccoff and Tom Corcoran took the ball in for the final shot. But Corcoran's shot bounced awry, and Harvard was left with another narrow defeat