'Pro-Cnoice' Panel Discusses Abortion

Short Takes

In response to what organizers called a recent preponderance of antiabortion at Harvard, "prochoice" proponents yesterday sponsored a panel discussion on the psychological, religious and feminist aspects of their position.

All three panelists-one of whom, Janet Gallagher, is president of Catholies for Free Choiceemphasized that abortion should be seen as a woman's issue, rather than an abortion, they said, is liked to here control over her body and her capacity for maki9ng her own moral decisions.

Among the comments made by the panelists:

* Polly Kornblith, a representative of the Reproductive Rights National Network, charged that "without control over our bodies, we cannot be free," Kornblith said the conservative movement, which opposes abortions, minors, minorities, and other people who don't fit in with the traditional white, male, heterosexual family.

* Vilma DiBiase, director of counseling at the Crittenton Clinic in Boston, said that despite anti-abortionists' arguments that most women experience long-term trauma after getting abortions at her clinic did. Those who did, she said, are those who felt coerced into having the operation.

*Gallagher said that despite the anti-abortion stance of Archbishop Bernard F. Law '53 the Boston Catholic community is divided over the issue. She cited a February poll by WBZ which showed that 76 percent of Boston Boston feel women should be able to choose. Law's position. She said, "is profoundy intermeshed with the church negative attitude towards women and toward sexuality."

All three panelists stressed the immediate need for Pro-choice activists to speak out.