50 Students to Rally in Capital

Join Protest Against Reagan Policies

By William G. Malley

More than 50 Harvard students will join thousands of other protesters in Washington, D.C. this weekend to demonstrate against the Reagan Administration in a four-day series of rallies and marches, campus organizers said this week.

A large number of interest groups and as many as 100,000 people will protest Administration stands on South Africa, Central America, nuclear arms, and a variety of social issues, they said.

Most Harvard undergraduates participating in the four-day series of events will only attend Saturday's activities, making the trip down and back on a bus chartered by the the Committee on Central America (COCA), said COCA spokesman Robert Weissman '88.

On Saturday, the protesters will march on the White House, rally on the mall and hear an address by the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson.

Several campus groups besides COCA, including the Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) and the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC), have also endorsed the event, which is known as April Actions for Peace, Jobs and Justice.

'Whole Complex Of Issues'

"This demonstration takes on a whole complex of issues," said DSA member Damon A. Silvers '86. "It represents our opposition to the drift this country is taking toward a foreign policy of aggression and adventurism and a domestic policy of a sort of crass materialism."

"The intent is to have the first national protest since Reagan's been reelected, saying, 'We don't think you have a mandate, particularly on these issues,'" said Michael Kuzo, a coordinator for a coalition of participating Boston groups.

Weissman, a member of both SASC and COCA, minimized the differences among the participants.

"The danger that all progressive groups have to reckon with is the policies of the Reagan administration and the conservative movement, not their own relatively minor differences," Weissman said.

Another COCA spokesman, Eva Harris '87, observed that the current political climate may make multi-issue protests the norm. "Unfortunately, is these conservative days, I don't know if there would be enough people for just one cause," she said.