Senior Arrested At Embassy Protest in D.C.

Short Takes

A Harvard student was arrested by Washington D.C. police Friday for crossing police lines in front of the South African embassy to protest for anti-apartheid and divestment.

Claude D. Convisser '85, who was one of four persons arrested on Friday for crossing police lines, was participating in the daily protest activities of the the "Free South Africa Movement" which has been repeated each week day for the past 19 weeks and is organized by Transafrica, a foreign policy lobby.

Convisser, who spoke briefly to 75-100 protestors before coming within 500 feet of the embassy, which is illegal in D.C., said he performed the Friday motion to add to a nationwide demonstration of public "repugnance" at the United States' policy of constructive engagement with South Africa.

He said be also hoped to garner alumni support for Harvard's student organized Endowment for Diveatilure, which holds some senior class gift and alumni donations in escrow until the University completely divests of stock in companies which do business in South Africa.

The movement protesting apartheid across the country has accelerated since last Thanksgiving when three members of Transafrica were the first to be arrested in front of the South African embassy.

Since November 3115 arrests have been made nationwide, 1729 of which took place in the capitol, 44 in Boston, Transafrica supervisors and Washington police said yesterday.