Infield Leads Youthful Batswomen to 9-4 Mark

The Softball Notebook

By Jessica Dorman

The Harvard softball team takes a 9-4 record into the second half of its season, hosting Cornell today in a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.

If they sweep the Big Red--a club team they pounded last year, 10-0--the batswomen will have equalled their 1984 victory total of 11 games.

That's not bad, especially for a young squad that counts three freshmen and four sophomores among its nine starters.

"We have the same two pitchers as last year [Gerri Rubin and Janet Dickerman] and they're pitching as well or better than ever. 'Crimson Coach John Wentzell said. "Our infield defense is better, and our hitting is better."

Harvard has built its successful record without, for the most part, the services of the only two seniors on the squad. Co-Captains Joan Cunningham and Ann Wilson have seen only limited action because of injuries (to the former's shoulder and the latter's knee) incurred during the off-season.

Wentzell has used Cunningham occasionally as a designated hitter, but she has had only 17 at-bats over the Crimson's 13 games. Wilson, who has seen duty exclusively as a pinch hitter, has accumulated only five at-bats.

"Both of them are just as excited about the young kids as we are," Wentzell said of his two co-captains. "They still take pride in this team."

The infield defense that Wentzell mentioned has been superb all year. With sophomores Lisa Rowning (third base) and Trisha Brown (first base) at the corners, and freshmen Sharon Hayes (shortstop) and Mary Baldauf (second base) up the middle, the quarter is young, but poised.

Cunningham spent last year as Harvard's first baseman, but since the senior's shoulder problems kept her from throwing this season. Brown--the designated hitter last season--got the nod.

Brown has shined, averaging eight-and-a-half putouts per game. The Crimson pitchers force the opposition to hit a lot of grounders, and Brown has committed only two errors all year while anchoring the infield.

Across the diamond at the hot corner, Rowning has Brooks Robinsoned her way to a brilliant defensive season.

She, too, has two errors on the season, and has consistently demonstrated an incredibly accurate throwing arm. Last Sunday, when the Cantabs hosted Princeton, Rowning took over the field in the fifth and sixth, handling four consecutive chances--three grounders and a pop-up in the hole.

The middle-of-the-infield duo of Hayes and Baldauf has also sparkled. The pair of Yardlings has turned three double plays, and average a combined five putouts and four assists per game.

* * *

Defense however, is not the only area where the freshmen have stood out. Hayes, Baldauf and center fielder Hanya Bluestone are shining on offense as well.

Baldauf continues to lead the Crimson in hitting with a phenomenal .447 batting average. Her 17 hits include three doubles and a home run, and she has nine walks for a .553 on-base percentage.

Hayes, hitting .333, is third on the squad in batting (behind Gia Barresi at .362). The Lexington, Mass. native also has nine walks on the year, to tie Baldauf for the team lead in that department.

Bluestonc, hitting at a .257 clip, has a triple and home run to her credit. "Hanya take her rips, and is very fast," Wentzell said. After missing the first contest of the year because of an injury, the fleet-footed Bluestone has become Harvard's starting center fielder and leadoff batter.

The Crimson's leading pinch-hitter thus far has been another freshman, Cari Lyn Beck--a women's soccer standout in the fall. She has been called upon only three times, but came off the bench to get a hit in two of those plate appearances--for a .667 average.