Fusco Chosen M.V.P., Headlines Award Dinner

By Nick Wurf

Scott Fusco '85-86, the captainelect of the Harvard men's hockey team, was awarded the John Tudor Memorial Cup as the team's most valuable player at the squad's annual dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston last night.

After contemplating a jump to professional hockey. Fusco has decided to return to Harvard for his fourth and final season. This year, the center led the team, the Ivy League and the ECAC in scoring and in the process recorded 81 points (34 goals and 47 assists)--the second highest single season total in Harvard history.

The Burlington, Mass. native was the ECAC Player of the Year as well as All-Ivy and All-American. The 1984 U.S. Olympian will, barring injury, become the Harvard career scoring leader next season.

The Donald Angier Trophy for the greatest improvement went to junior right wing Tim Smith, who enjoyed a 53-point season (31 goals and 22 assists). Smith's effort came on the heels of a campaign that saw him tally only twice and earn but three assists for a five-goal total.

Two players shared the George Percy Award for the freshman who displays the most enthusiasm, sportsmanship, team spirit and loyalty. Left wing Lane MacDonald (21-31--52) joined linemates Fusco and Smith as an award winner after setting a new school record for goals by a freshman.

Hare-hitting defenseman Jerry Pawloski shared the Percy Award with MacDonald. Pawlsoki's steady play and devastating open-ice body checks earned him the recognition on the heels of a nine-assist season.

Captain Brad Kwong and junior Mark Benning were awarded the Ralph "Cooney" Weiland Award for devotion to the game, evidenced by aggressive and spirited play and selfless contribution to the total team effort.

Kwong, a senior defenseman, guided the maturation of the Crimson's large corps of freshmen and Benning, a junior transfer from Notre Dame, fell a point short of equalling the Harvard record for assists by a defenseman with a four-goal, 37-assist season.