Senate Debates Religious Days; Bill Mandates Make-up Exams

By Jonathan M. Moses

The State Senate today will begin debating a bill which would require Massachusetts elementary, secondary and postsecondary schools to offer make-up exams to students absent because of religious holidays.

"This bill will for the record make it clear," that students have the right to make-up exams if a conflict with religious observance exists on the day of the exam, said Sen. George Bachrach (D-Watertown), the bill's sponsor.

"It has been an ongoing problem, although small, in a number of institutions," where students are feeling some peer pressure not to ask for makeup exams, Bachrach said. He did not cite specific examples.

"I don't think it's really a very big deal," said Cathleen Lynch, a staff person on the Education Committee, which gave the bill a favorable report last week. The spirit of the bill is already followed by most schools, she added.

An side to Bachrach said that most schools allow students make-ups for religious purposes. But, he added, "this will sensitize schools to the issue."

"We try and make these accomadations anyway," Richard Doherty, a Harvard lobbyist to the State House, said. According to Doherty, the bill would probably have very little affect on Harvard.

He added that, while Harvard had some concern that the bill might be abused by students, "there's a fair amount of discretion to prevents abuse" for the schools.

Only two other states--New York and New Jersey--have similar laws, Bachrach's aide said.

The Registrar at Princeton, C. Anthony Broh, said he was unaware of the New Jersey law, but added that Princeton has always conformed to it in principle.

Students are allowed to change exam dates, Broh said. He added that this semester, the Jewish holiday Shavuot falls during Princeton's exam period and exams have been cancelled for that day.

Jewish students last year protested Harvard's decision to hold Comencement ceremonies on Shavuot.

Because one bill only effects required school activities, events like Commencement would not fall under its parameters, said the Bachrach aide.

Lynch said the bill will most likely pass. Bachrach was more cautious and made no predictions.