Tuition, Expenses Rise to $15,100

By Jovi A. Getz

Total undergraduate tuition and fees will increase just over 7 percent next year to $15,100 the lowest percentage jump since 1973. Associate Dean for Financial Affairs Melissa D. Gerrity said this week.

Tuition alone will be the $10,590, an 8 of percent increase over this year. Room rent will increase 3 percent to $2530, while board will increase 3 percent to $1980.

The overall increase is greater than the roughly 4 percent rise of the Consumer Price Index (CPI), a factor Gerrity attributed to the fact that "some of the costs increase at rates faster than inflation," including maintenance and energy.

Also, the Faculty is paying for needed large-scale building renovations like those of the House system and various science laboratories. The University will be repaying $5.5 million in debts borrowed for the House and other FAS renovations, Gerrity added.

Aid-Blind Admissions Continues

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aids L. Fred Jewett '57 said that the College will continue to be able to admit students on a need blind bases next year and said he doubts the tuition increase will discourage applicants.

Students pay only about one-third of the actual cost of being at Harvard. In 1962-3, the most recent figures available, tuition accounted for about 35 percent of the Faculty's budget. Some 25 percent came from income on Harvard's $2.3 billion endowment, another 20 percent from federal grants and the remaining percentage from current use gifts and other sources.

Harvard's $1000 increase is slightly less than most other Ivy League schools and the local figure will be among the lowest in the Ivy League. According to spokesmen at each school, Dartmouth will cost $16,105; Brown $16,100, Columbia $15,927, Standard $14,893; and Duke $13,200.

The College traditionally announces final fees figures in late January and Gerrity said this year's word was delayed because the Faculty wanted to make sure that next year's budget will be balanced.

"We didn't have a good feel for how the budget would turn out," said Gerrity. "There were reasons to believe that there would be deficits after the December projections."

Gerrity said the roughly $140 million budget, which requires final approval from the seven-man governing Corporation, is expected to post a $60,000 surplus Geoffrey H. Simon contributed to the reporting of this article.