Harvard Fights for Demo Permit

Seeks Historical Commission O.K.

By Thomas J. Winslow

Members of the Historical Commission got the message last Thursday Harvard has decided to put its full weight behind a plan to convert turn of the-century property at 8 and 10 Mt Auburn St. into retail space and affiliate housing.

An usually quiet commission hearing-to determine a property's historical significance, if any-became a two-hour forum for about 10 Harvard witnesses, including three architects, several University administrators, and a stenographer.

Harvard argued that the 93-year old, Queen Anne style building did not merit preservation as an historically significant property. In addition. Jacqueline O'Neill, associate vice president for community affairs, said it would not be cost effective to renovate the units in their current architectural style.

Harvard's plan for the property it bought less than a year ago would, according to tenants union representatives, result in the eviction of six residents and the property's removal from rent control.

City Councilor David E. Sullivan, who is opposed to the University a renovation plan, charged Harvard with trying to intimidate the historical commission with "a team of expert witnesses, a battery of lawyers and a stenographer."

Sullivan added that the University presented its case as if it was preparing for a law suit against the commission if didn't rule in Harvard's favor.

O'Neill said yesterday that Harvard's "purpose is not to prepare for a lawsuit but to make the best case we can."

But, she added, "the people there were justified in being annoyed."

Several neighbors to 8 and 10 Mt Auburn St. testified against the University.

Local resident Marilyn Wellons said Harvard has little regard for a residential area already crowded with Peabody Terrace, Mather House, Leverett Towers and a near by sensor citizens highrise "The treatment of that building is symbolic of the treatment of this neighborhood," she added.

If the commission decides this week that the structure is historically significant, it is legally empowered to put a six month delay on the demolition.