Wiretapping

THE MAIL

To The Editors of The Crimson:

In light of the recent accusations being made about the possibility of phone tapping of students belonging to the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC), we would like to remind the Harvard community that proof that wiretapping has occurred would not necessarily implicate the University in any wrongdoing it is entirely possible that wiretapping has been carried out not by Harvard University, but rather by the United States government.

The United States government has a vested interest in monitoring the activities of students who may be considered by their standards to be "radicals" or "potential radicals" Upon receiving information suggesting a possible building take over, a government agency such as the Central Intelligence Agency would natural wish to relay such information to the appropriate University authorities, In addition, such an agency would naturally wish to remain anonymous.

We do not mean to suggest that this in the only possible for the events that have occurred within the last week, nor do we mean to absolve the University of any possible responsibility for a wiretapping, if such a wiretapping has, In fact, occurred. Rather, we intend to remind the Harvard community and especially these members of the Harvard Community who are associated with the Southern African Solidarity Committee, that there are many possible explanations for what has happened, and that it would be wrong to accuses any specific person or organization of wrongdoing based upon the scanty circumstantial evidence which has come to light. It would certainly be unfortunate if animosity were to develop within the Harvard community because of a simple misunderstanding. Stanley J. Mrose '83   James E. Mrose '86