Phi Beta Kappa

After the traditional march from Johnston Gate, the graduating members of Phi Beta Kappa assembled yesterday morning for Literary Exercises at Sanders Theater.

With several hundred others in attendance, the prestigious academic society staged an hour-long ceremony, highlighted by the delivery of an erudite Oration and a series of short but moving poems.

In addition the society bestowed two teaching awards to Associate Professor of Government Michael J. Sandel and Associate Professor of Psychology James R. Stellar. The teachers were selected by the society's undergraduate members.

Author Cynthia wide-ranging works have focused on Jewish culture read an oration called "Metaphor and Memory," in which she argued that the two subjects were inextricably linked.

Renowned Minnesotan poet Robert Bly '50 read a series of 10 eight-line poems entitled "Sorrow and knowledge"

Phi Beta Kappa members are students with high grade point averages who are selected to the society for life in their junior or senior years of college--112 seniors were inducted yesterday.