AS IT HAPPENED...

forcibly push through the student blockade and lead Hoppenstein to safety through underground tunnels.

"I think conditions in South Africa are bound to get worse and not better."--Corporation Fellow Hugh Calkins '45

At least two police and one student are injured. No arrests are made.

* May 3: In a strongly worded statement, the Faculty asks the students involved in the April 24 sit-in to come forward with their names and a description of their participation in the day-long sit-in.

* May 7: As key administration buildings continue to operate under a round-the-clock police watch, a spokesman for the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee apologizes to the residents of Lowell House for the blockade there five days earlier.

* May 8: The Faculty Council votes to reconstitute a Vietnam-era disciplinary body to discipline students involved in the April 24 sit-in at 17 Quincy St. and the May 2 blockade at Lowell House. The student-faculty Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR) had not tried a case for a decade.

* May 10: House Committee chairmen unanimously vote to temporarily continue a 15-year student boycott of the CRR. They say the onset of exam period does not give them enough time to discuss whether students should serve on the controversial committee. Some chairman say that they will definitely continue the boycott, calling the CRR an illegitimate body without due pieces.

* May 14: Graduate students, who are allowed to send two representatives to the CRR, vote to join undergraduates in refusing to send delegates.

* May 15: Ten Law School students receive official warnings from the Law School Administrative Board for participating in the April sit-in at 17 Quincy St.

* May 20: Students are invited to serve as observers on the CRR, which has decided to convene even though both undergraduate and graduate students had voted to conditionally continue the boycott.

* May 22: The CRR holds it first meeting and elects McKay Professor of Mechanical Engineering Richard E. Kronauer as its chairman.

* May 23: Nearly 35 students involved in two protests announce they will not submit their names or appear before the CRR, which they called an "illegitimate body."