Worker Injures Head After Fall at Quad

Fell Almost 20 Feet

By Charles C. Matthews

A construction employee working at a House in the Radcliffe Quadrangle last week suffered head lacerations and a fractured shoulder after falling almost 20 ft., officials said yesterday.

Roy Baker, employed by a Willmington rigger company, fell 16 feet to the floor of the Moors Hall boiler room one week ago, said Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson.

Reading from the Cambridge Fire Department's report of the accident, Lieutenant Thomas Kotowski said a crane struck Baker on the back of the head. Johnson, however, said he was not aware of reports involving the crane and added that Baker might have slipped.

According to the Harvard police report, the 48-year-old fell from a ladder to a ledge eight ft, below, then fell an additional eight ft. to the floor. His head was reportedly bleeding, but he did not lose consciousness.

Baker, transported to Mount Auburn Hospital, was treated for head and shoulder injuries and released shortly after admittance on Tuesday, said a hospital spokeperson. Fire officials suspected neck injuries, but hospital officials said Baker received no such injuries.

The accident was not related to the $27 million Quad renovations that began last, week, said Harvard officials. The University had hired the rigging contractor, G.H. Harmun, to replace the Moors' boiler room door, but not for the large-scale project.

Baker could not be reached at his Lowell, Mass. home, but his step son, Jeff Jenkins, said he thought charges would not be brought against the company because accidents are covered by a special compensation plan.