A small blaze mysteriously ignited in a kennedy School ashtray last week, baffling fire officials investigating the odd incident.
The fire, which caused no injuries or damage, begin not long after a K-School maintenance worker reportedly filled three ashtrays with a substance he thought to be ashtray sand, said K-School spokesman David Irons.
The substance, which had been in the storage room where ashtray sand is normally kept, turned out to be a highly flammable chemical.
The Cambridge Fire Department and Harvard are investigating a number of unusual circumstances, including why the chemical was in the storage area, what ignited the fire, and what exactly the chemical was Investigation have not ruled out foul play.
Spill Forces Evacuation of LabsA toxic chemical spill and small fire forced students, professors and staff to evacuate the Mallinckrodt lab building on Friday
Chemical Spill In Mallinckrodt Called MinorA minor chemical fire broke out yesterday morning in the Mallinckrodt Lab, near the Science Center, according to Harvard police
Fire in 29 Garden St. Prompts EvacuationResidents of 29 Garden St. were evacuated for about 20 minutes early this morning when an overfilled washing machine caught
Thanksgiving Day Fire Engulfs Shed at ITTA fire broke out at the Albert H. Gordon Track and Tennis Center (ITT) on Thanksgiving Day, damaging the exterior
Cambridge Police LogFeb. 26 —An Elm St. resident reported that an unknown person had tapped his phone line. —A Blake St. resident