Faculty Club Workers Will Lobby To Flight Possibility of Relocation

By Kristin A. Goss

Faculty Club workers, fearing relocation if the University hires a private company to manage the financially troubled club, have begun a letter-writing and postering campaign to keep their jobs.

At a meeting last Sunday, a group of food service workers decided, among other strategies, to lobby Faculty Club members for support, to ask patrons to send a pre-composed letter to Vice President for Operations Robert Saltonstall Jr. and to ask local politicians, including Cambridge Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55, to get involved.

The workers' concern stems from Harvard's announcement earlier this month that it is considering outside management to solve club financial problems that include recent job turnovers and high labor costs. Workers said they fear a private company would push union labor out to pay lower wages to non-union workers.

Although Harvard says it has not decided whether to contract outside management, workers say they don't want to wait to voice their opposition to relocation to other campus dining halls. adopted the blueprint several hours later on a vote of 309-119.

The GOP-ruled Senate quickly followed suit, 67-32, but only after Democratic Leader Robert Byrd (D-W.V.) wrung public assurances from GOP Leader Robert Dole (R-Kan.) that President Reagan supports the plan and "will not criticize these who vote for it.