Crimson Takes a Fall in Opener; Inexperience Hurts Young Harriers

By Richard L. Meyer

Cambridge is a long way from Kenosha, but then again, today is a long way from November 1 and the Harvard men's cross country team has a long way to go before then.

The Crimson runners began their season Saturday with a disappointing last-place finish in a five-way meet held in Kenosha, Wisc., and they have a lot of work to do before the Heptagonal Championships on November 1.

Marquette University, on the strength of a convincing individual victory by Keith Hanson, captured top honors in the meet with 51 points. Stanford was second with 53, followed by Northwestern, Rice, and Harvard, which finished with 56, 80, and 130 points respectively.

Hanson was the star of the day as he broke from the pack early and cruised to a 45-second victory, running 23:37 over the eight-kilometer course, just 10' seconds off the course record.

Harvard captain Paul Kent placed first for the Cantabs with an excellent ninth-place finish (24:42).

Kent expressed both pleasure and dissatisfaction with his performance.

"It was one of my better races," the senior said. "But I wasn't confident enough to run with the lead group which was a mistake. I should have been up there farther."

Freshman Brian Cann had a fine debut, finishing second for the Crimson and 21st overall in 25:52.

Harvard Coach Ed Sheehan expressed his satisfaction with this year's freshmen. "We have a very strong freshman class," he said. "What they're lacking is experience."

The Crimson had only two runners--Kent and senior Bill Pate--with any significant varsity experience.

"Our team did not show its potential," said Kent.

"It was obviously a very high quality meet to start the season," Sheehan said. "I don't feel they ran a super race, but there were a lot of positive things in the race."

The Crimson have a few days to regroup before going to New York for a Friday meet with Columbia, Penn, and a team from Birmingham, England.

"A little inexperience and a little lack of confidence are hurting us a lot," said Sheehan. "I think this is going to be a very strong team.

at Kenosha, Wisc.

Marquette 53, Stanford 56, Northwestern 56, Rice 80, Harvard 130 Eight-kilometer course Overall winner: Keith Hanson, Marquette, 23:37

Harvard finishers: Paul Kent, 24:42, 9th place; Brian Cann, 25:52, 21; Bill Pate, 26:03, 25; Mark Foley, 27:00, 37; Seth Goldman, 27:00, 38; Mike Spence, 27:30, 40; Tommy Whayne, 28:37, 42.