Muggers Hit Freshman; Watch and Money Stolen

A freshman was mugged by two well-dressed young men about a block from Harvard Yard Friday night.

Sophocles N. Zoullas '89 escaped injury, but he lost $10 and his Rolex watch. The robbery occurred at 9:30 p.m. on Plympton St. in front of Adams House.

Zoullas, a native of Manhattan, said two men who looked like students approached him, asking what time it was. After he responded, "they said something like 'don't cause any problems. Give us your stuff, or we'll cut you," he said.

Despite their threat, Zoullas did not see a knife.

The Wigglesworth resident reported the incident to his proctor and the Harvard University Police. Both parties refused to comment on the issue.

Associate Dean of Freshmen Susan W. Lewis said she was not aware of the incident, but that it would be the first reported mugging this year.

The senior adviser on call this weekend, Robert Cashion '81, also had not heard of the mugging. "I think [this sort of thing] happens very rarely," said Cashion.

"The weirdest thing is, I've never been confronted in Manhattan, and I've lived there all my life," said Zoullas.