Three-Time Winner

Water Polo

By Jessica Dorman

The Harvard men's water polo team has never been more experienced--so never mind that the coach just got the job two weeks ago.

The aquamen picked up their third mentor in three years in late August, when Chris Hafferty agreed to take over for men's swimming Coach Joe Bernal, who had agreed to take over for Steve Pike during the 1984 season.

While such flip-flopping would seem to forecast inconsistency, the squad seems to have ended up as the big winners in the game of revolving coaches.

"We've got the knowledge and guidance of Coach Bernal, and the enthusiasm and fresh new approach of Coach Hafferty," said Tri-Captain Jon Sandler. Bernal, the dean of Harvard swimming, will remain as a consultant to the team.

And for his part, Hafferty has nothing but praise for the way the captains took control over the summer. "The three captains went ahead and set up training camp all by themselves," he says. "Just the fact that they did all that on their own without help from a coaching staff--I'm super impressed."

Last year, the Crimson finished 14-11; after losing only two seniors--Brian Graham and Adam Button--this year's squad should fare even better. "While we're going to feel that loss, we've got 11 returning lettermen, five of whom are sophomores who've really come into their own," Sandler explained.

One of those sophomores, Don Benson, will take over the goaltending slot vacated by Graham. Two other probable sophomore starters are Fred Scherrer--owner of the squad's fastest time at 100 meters--and Wade Stokes.

All three sophomores attended the Junior Development Training Camp at Colorado Springs' Olympic Training Center over the summer.

Also returning for the aquadudes are seniors Rod Phares, Jay Rossiter and John David ('85-'86), graduating junior Bruce Novis, and sophomores Bill Wolff and Peter Kaiser.

Add six incoming freshmen, and you've got an idea of the depth that Hafferty has to play with. Whereas in previous years the squad was lucky to have the seven necessary starters, talented players will be watching from the poolside at Blodgett this season.

"We're out there [at practice] and there's nobody I'm afraid to play with," exulted Tri-Captain Rob Strauss. "It's a new era in water polo."

"This is the most excited I've ever been," concurred Sandler.

The Crimson's season opens September 13 when the squad takes on Iona. The biggest challenge, however, will be provided by arch-rival Brown, which sunk Harvard last season to maintain its 10-year unbeaten string against the Crimson.

"Out of the 20 or so teams we'll face, there's only one or two or three we have to play tough with," Strauss said.