Penalty Kick Pins Men Booters

Big Green Catches Crimson Late, 1-1

HANOVER, N.H.--A late penalty kick by Dartmouth freshman phenom Vladica Stanojevic gave the Big Green a 1-1 tie against the Harvard men's soccer team Saturday before several hundred homecoming day fans.

Stanojevic's goal capped a furious late charge by the Big Green (now 5-3-1 overall, 1-1-1 Ivy), which knotted a hard-fought contest in which the Crimson squandered several opportunities to capitalize on Dartmouth miscues.

Harvard (3-1-3, 1-0-2 Ivy) was forced to play without the services of leading scorer John Catliff, who was ejected during the second half of last weekend's 0-0 tie with Cornell.

As a result, Catliff was forced to sit out the Crimson's next contest--originally scheduled to take place last Tuesday at Boston University. However, that game was postponed because of technical problems at B.U.'s Nickerson Field, and Catliff's one-game suspension was pushed back to Saturday.

Despite Catliff's absence, however, the Crimson managed to open up the scoring 63 minutes into the game when a hustling Nick Hotchkin intercepted a sloppy Dartmouth pass in front of the goal.

Hotchkin swept the ball to junior linemate Drory Tendler, who was streaking along the endline, and Tendler netted the ball into a near-empty Big Green goal.

Harvard outshot Dartmouth 18-12 over the course of the game, and Crimson goalie Chad Reilly was forced to make only four saves, while his Green counterpart, John Scott, had to stop eight Harvard shots on goal. But Reilly had no chance on Stanojevic's well-placed penalty boot.

After opening up their Ivy campaign with a 4-1 upset of eight-time defending league champion Columbia, the booters have now failed to break scoring deadlocks in its last two Ancient Eight outings. Harvard will get another chance Friday night, when it travels to Princeton for an evening contest.