Today 350th Anniversary Of Founding of Harvard

By Shari Rudavsky

The University celebrated it in September, the College celebrated it two weeks ago, but today is it--the 350th anniversary of the founding of Harvard College.

It was 350 years ago today that the court of Massachusetts voted to set aside 400 pounds for the establishment of a small institution of higher education located across the river from Boston in what was then "New Towne."

Two years later, in 1638, an English minister willed half of his savings and his library of about 400 books to this school of about a dozen students. The minister's name was John Harvard, and the rest is history.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, co-chairman of the 350th undergraduate celebration committee, and the student and alumni members of the committee will make a pilgrimage this afternoon to the church in Charlestown where John Harvard is buried.

Governor Michael S. Dukakis will make a proclamation at the grave.

The 350th Committee will also commemorate the founding of the College by taking up a collection next week for a gift to the University from the undergraduate classes attending Harvard during its 350th year.

The gift will be a plaque inscribed with the four classes currently attending the University. It will hang on Thayer Gate, which faces the Science Center.

Members of the 350th Committee will solicit contributions for the plaque from students in the undergraduate dining halls and at football games and concerts by student performing groups, Epps said. He added that he hopes to dedicate the plaque on November 21, the Friday before the Yale game.