Back in Blodgett's Fast Lane

Aquawomen Annihilate Eagles, 176-91

By Joseph Kaufman

The Harvard women's swimming team opened its season in fine fashion last night at Blodgett Pool by trouncing Boston College, 176-91.

The defending Ivy League Champion Crimson (1-0 overall, 0-0 Ivy) was led by freshman Kaari Reierson and sophomore diver Jenny Greene, both of whom broke records in the meet.

Reierson, who is the younger sister of men's swimming team Co-Captain Lars Reierson, broke her own Blodgett Pool record in the 100-yd. backstroke with a winning time of 59.27 seconds.

Greene shattered both the pool and Harvard records on the 1-meter board, scoring 288.525 points, while in 3-meter competition she set a Blodgett record with 307.775 points.

Head Coach Maura Costin Scalise was pleased with the way her team swam in the meet, despite the fact that several key team members were either ill or entered off-events.

"Tonight was a good night because it gave us a chance to see how some of the other swimmers could do," Costin Scalise said. "Some members of the team were a little tired in the water, but I was happy to see the rest picking up the slack."

Costin Scalise specifically referred to Reierson and fellow freshmen Mia Costello and Sheila Findley. Costello won the 200 breaststroke and finished second in the 100 breaststroke.

Findley gained two second-place showings in the 100 and 200 backstroke events, finishing behind Reierson in each. Findley also teamed up with Costello, Yardling Mary Quinn and sophomore Linda Suhs to win the medley relay.

Besides the relay victory, Suhs notched wins in the 50- and 100-yd. freestyle events, almost breaking her own record in the 50 with a time of 24.65 seconds. Fellow sophomore Janice Sweetser also had a fine evening with first-place showings in the 200 and 500 freestyles and a second-place finish in the 100 freestyle.

Two Crimson swimmers won events in which they have little experience. Although not normally a butterfly swimmer, junior Karen Dehmel successfully made the switch by winning the 200 butterfly and the 400 individual medley. Dehmel won the 100 butterfly as well, but swam it under exhibition status.

Sophomore Karen Schneider, normally a butterflier, was moved to the distance events last night and won the 1000 freestyle.

While Greene's two records highlighted the diving competition, Lisa Pierce also was in fine form on the boards, finishing right behind Greene in both events.

"All of my divers dove very well tonight," said Head Diving Coach John Walker. "The key to Jenny's diving tonight was that she was more relaxed on the board and seemed to be enjoying herself out there."

Absent from last night's meet was freshman standout Jenny Meyer, who came down with the flu over the weekend. In addition, Quinn strained her shoulder in the first relay and skipped the rest of the meet.

But both Meyer and Quinn should be ready for the Crimson's Ivy League opener this Saturday at Blodgett Pool against Columbia. Following the meet with the Lions is the big match-up December 3 at Brown, which Harvard must win to have a shot at its second consecutive Ivy Crown.