Fear and Loathing in the Race for State Auditor

The two candidates for Massachusetts auditor both agree it would be better if they could discuss the issues instead of attack each other's records.

But each points the finger of blame at a different cause: Republican William Robinson at the media, and Democrat Joseph DeNucci at Robinson.

And each suffers under the weight of trying to get the public interested in the race for an office that hasn't seen a contest in 45 years. The last two auditors were appointed by the Legislature after one auditor died in office and the second resigned.

"I don't know how you get people's attention," said Robinson, the House Republican leader. "If you compare my record to his...the press is saying 'negative.' Well, what else do you compare, our height?" The favored DeNucci has outspent his opponent $540,478 to $143,398.

Robinson said the press has ignored his discussion of the issues and instead only covered his attacks on DeNucci. DeNucci said Robinson's charges have prevented a discussion of what each candidate would do with the office.

Robinson certainly got the attention of his front-running Democratic rival with a radio commerical in which DeNucci repeatedly says, "I have to have rocks in my head" in response to questions about his qualifications.

DeNucci actually made the statement during a televised debate, but in the context of saying he had rocks in his head for giving Robinson credibility by debating him.

DeNucci says the ad is totally out of context and unfair.

"I've tried to talk about my visions of the office of auditor," said DeNucci, a state representative from Newton and a former middleweight boxer. "It's been disappointing that my Republican opponent has done nothing but distort my voting record and attack me personally."

Robinson and DeNucci differ sharply in their views on the auditor's role.

Robinson said he views the auditor's job as an adversarial role, a post from which to examine how the rest of the state government spends the taxpayers' money.

"You need to have an independent auditor," he said, charging that DeNucci is a "good old boy who will allow the people on Beacon Hill to feel very comfortable because he will not rock any boats."

Robinson, a state representative for 22 years, says DeNucci's voting record shows he almost always supports the House leadership and would have a hard time exercising independence as auditor.

DeNucci, a 10-year lawmaker, said Robinson has distorted his votes by falsely claiming DeNucci voted against establishing the state inspector general's office and against strengthening the auditor's powers.

If elected, DeNucci, 47, says he would modernize the auditor's office with computers, hire auditors with expertise in the various state agencies and set up a special unit that would work with the inspector general on suspected areas of corruption and abuse.

Robinson, 60, of Melrose said he believes the most important tasks of the auditor are to help implement the tax cap approved last week by the Legislature, oversee the vendors and contractors who sell their goods and services to the state, and strengthen the Division of Local Mandates.