Thieves Hit Dunster, Quincy For $6200

Thieves stole an estimated $6200 worth of goods from two Harvard houses this week, including silver flutes and jewelry worth $4200 from a room at Dunster House.

Jessica S. Ancker '87 and Laura H. Finkelstein '87 returned from class at 11:50 Tuesday morning to find that all the drawers in the room had been rifled and two $1500 silver-plated flutes taken.

The thief did not take a Walkman, stereo and computer also in the room. Ancker said she thinks the thief may have seen her playing her flute and broken into the room expressly to steal it.

The thief also took from the women two pairs of earrings and nine rings, one of which was a 16th-birthday present, worth $1000, and a student flute, worth $200. The Harvard Police do not know how the burglar got into the room, but did notice a fire door leading to a connecting suite was unlocked, according to last week's police blotter.

Dunster House Senior Tutor Jeffrey Wolcowitz said thieves have struck the house's fourth and fifth floors more than usual during the past few weeks, and that students had been warned about the dangers.

Quincy House

In addition, a computer valued at $2000 was stolen from Quincy House this week, sometime between Wednesday and Saturday, according to the blotter. Thieves forced open the window of the first-floor office and pushed in the screen to remove the Mode D Selectric Computer. Three suspicious-looking young men were seen in the area, but the police have no real leads yet, according to the blotter.