Prankster's Council Seat Revoked by Ad Board

By Julie L. Belcove

The Administrative Board has forced a member of the Undergraduate Council to resign because of his involvement last year in a computer prank.

Newly elected council member Marcus Q. Mitchell '89 of North House was placed on disciplinary probation last spring by the Ad Board, after he and seven other freshmen interrupted the Quantitative Reasoning Requirement (QRR) computer test.

Mitchell and his fellow pranksters programmed the printer in the Science Center to print out, "This computer test sucks" continuously. The prank, for which seven of the eight freshman were originally required to withdraw, interrupted hundreds of freshmen who were waiting to pass the QRR test.

The Ad Board's decision to remove Mitchell from the council drew criticism from the student government's chairman, who said that the College's disciplinary body had no right to interfere in the body's affairs.

Council Chairman Richard S. Eisert '88 said that an elected representative has a "mandate" from his constituents to serve in the student government and that it is not against council policy for a student on probation to serve.

But Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said the council is an activity under the Ad Board's jurisdiction. "One might look at participating in the council as a sort of recognition or honor," he said.

Disciplinary probation is kept confidential, Jewett said, adding, "Constituencies voting may not have the information to judge a person when they vote for him."

"The council arguably is not as much an extracurricular activity as it is a part of the University infrastructure," Eisert said.

However, Eisert said he would not press Jewett to allow Mitchell to remain on the council.

Students on disciplinary probation must petition the Ad Board for permission to participate in extracurricular activities. Mitchell did so, but the closed-door disciplinary body refused his request.

Mitchell said the Ad Board decided "such a position of responsibility and leadership would be unbecoming for a person on probation."

Jewett, who serves as chairman of the Ad Board, said that the seriousness of the offense can influence the decision whether the student is allowed to participate in an extracurricular.

"[The computer prank] was a fairly serious disciplinary problem," Jewett said. "It was not a minor thing."

Mitchell said he resigned rather than trying to fight the Ad Board's decision because he "decided to go the safe route."

He said he will run for the council next term if there is an opening and if he can get Ad Board approval. Otherwise, he said he will run next fall when he no longer is on disciplinary probation.