Icemen Streak to Duluth Clash

Undefeated Crimson to Take on WHCA Bulldogs

The last time the Harvard men's ice hockey team saw the University of Minnesota-Duluth, the Bulldogs were celebrating a pair of 4-2 NCAA quarterfinal victories which propelled them into the national Final Four.

That was March, 1985. Now, 21 months later, the two squads are meeting again at Duluth Arena (tonight at 9:05 p.m., tomorrow at 8:35 p.m., both games broadcast tape-delayed on WHRB), with nothing on the line except a little regular season pride.

And a national ranking.

And an undefeated streak.

Harvard travels to Duluth ranked third in the country, and undefeated (9-0) on the season. Harvard has so dominated its FCAC competition that the icemen haven't even trailed in a game this year. Only a handful of games have been close.

Meanwhile, UMD is rebounding from a mediocre start. After missing the NCAA play-downs in 1985-'86 by finishing fourth in the WCHA (21-12-1), the Bulldogs started this year with a dismal 1-7-1 record. Granted, the competition in the WHCA is a lot tougher than the ECAC, but 1-7-1 ain't good in any league.

Since then, however, UMD has won five of six to assume a fourth-place tie in the WCHA with Colorado College. The Bulldogs are led by a high-scoring first line centered by Brian Johnson (12 goals, 10 assists, 22 points). Wings Skeeter Moore (10-15--25) and Sean Toomey (10-11--21) provide scoring punch.

Sophomore goalie John Hydule sports a 4.29 goals-against average and a .877 save percentage.

Harvard, meanwhile, is led by a pair of high-scoring forwards and a pair of stingy goalies.

Junior Lane MacDonald and senior Tim Barakett lead the Crimson in scoring with 19 and 17 points respectively, and senior Dickie McEvoy and junior John Devin have been playing musical chairs in goal.

Devin suffered an injury during warm-ups before the Princeton game three weeks ago, which sidelined him until Wednesday's 3-2 triumph over Brown. With Devin's knee problems, McEvoy has started all but two of Harvard's games, and has shone with a 2.00 goals-against average.

But Crimson Coach Bill Cleary has stated his intent to stick with his pre-season decision to alternate his two netminders, so it should be McEvoy tonight and Devin tomorrow.

Harvard has won only one of the teams six all-time meetings, a 6-4 victory in the schools' contest in the 1980-'81 season.