One-Sided

Editorial Policy

By Brooks Ensign

To the Editors of the Crimson:

We write to express our ever-growing concern with the lack of editorial balance demonstrated in The Crimson. Our concern is that there are two sides (or more) to every issue, and it is very clear that either The Crimson does not believe this is true, or it is unwilling to express differing editorial opinions. Our argument does not concern whether Democrats or Republicans are correct in their beliefs (a question you seem to have already answered, as shown in little or no editorial balance) but it would be hoped that a newspaper of worth would attempt to publish differing opinions on important political issues. Your recent editorials on the President's State of the Union Address of Monday, February 10, and the Gramm-Rudman editorial of February 11 only support our complaint.

As members of a Harvard community which supposedly prides itself on its liberal tolerance, actions such as yours, in refusing to air two sides of political issues, are a travesty towards this liberal ideal. In reality, though, Harvard as we are embarassed to say, seems to only permit expression of certain limited political views. It is our hope that with your newly elected staff of editors you might attempt to improve the the situation of imperfect editorial balance.