Crimson Collapses, 4-2, in Beanpot Opener

By Mark Brazaitis

The Harvard men's hockey team added another chapter to its recent history of Beanpot Tournament futility last night at Boston Garden, losing to Boston College, 4-2, before 14,451 spectators.

The loss was the first in five games for the Crimson (12-5-1 overall) but marked the fifth straight time Harvard has been defeated in the opening round of the Beanpot.

Crimson goalie Grant Blair--one of the nation's top netminders with a 2.84 goals-against average coming into last night's contest--surrendered four first-period goals, three on the first three B.C. shots, to put Harvard in a hole it could not dig itself out of, despite Captain Scott Fusco's twin tallies late in the game.

"[Blair] had a little problem with his angles," Fusco said. "We have a big rink. He's not used to playing tight corners. And we never gave him a chance to get in the game."

"It was too much, too early," Crimson Coach Bill Cleary said. "Their goaltender played well. I heard some people say that's the best they've ever seen them. When we played them 5-5 a year ago there, he was super. And he was every bit as good tonight."

Meanwhile, the Eagles (17-9-1 overall) will advance to the tournament final February 10, against Boston University, 8-5 winners over Northeastern in yesterday's first matchup.

And the Cantabs get a chance to avenge yesterday's loss in the consolation match against the Huskies at 5:30 p.m. Monday.

"We worked hard for our goals," B.C. Coach Len Ceglarski said. "They didn't come easy. And the team that worked the hardest was going to win."

Blair has never won a Beanpot game--although he did turn in a stellar 45-save effort against B.C. in the squads' 4-4 tie earlier in the season. Substitute goalie John Devin earned the victory in last year's consolation match, a 6-5 win over these same Eagles.

But despite the hopeful signs of last year's effort, the Crimson could not build on either that victory or on its recent triumphs over Yale and Brown the past weekend, and saw its overall Beanpot record fall to 35-32.

B.C. goalie Scott Gordon--who, like Blair, had never won a Beanpot game before last night--notched 27 saves to preserve the win for the Eagles.

The Hockey East leaders wasted no time against their crosstown rivals last night.

With just under two minutes gone in the contest, Eagle center Bob Sweeney smashed a shot from 40-ft. that buzzed past Blair and into the left-hand corner of the net.

The large contingent of B.C. supporters leapt to its feet after Sweeney's goal and hadn't settled down when the Eagles again found the Crimson twines--this time on forward Kevin Houle's tip-in of defenseman John McLean's slapshot from the point at 5:04.

Harvard forward Lane MacDonald gave Crimson fans hope when he stole a clearing pass with 12 minutes left in the period.

The sophomore forward on Fusco's Firing Line skated to within 10-ft. of the Eagle net, but despite a hard pump on goal could not work the puck past Gordon.

B.C. came storming back three minutes later. Eagle Captain Scott Harlow took a pass near the blue line and charged to within 6-ft. of the Crimson net where, one-on-one with Blair, he flicked it past the senior netminder to give Boston College an insurmountable 3-0 lead.

The Eagles powered for yet another goal with just over three minutes remaining in the first period.

Harlow took a pass from McLean on the right side of the Crimson net and shoveled the puck past Blair for a 4-0 advantage.

The two teams battled through a scoreless second period before Fusco's two scores at 15:30 and 18:42 of the third stanza prevented Harvard from falling victim to a shutout for the first time in its 35 years of Beanpot participation.

Eagles, 4-2 at Boston Garden Harvard  0  0  2--2 Boston College  4  0  0--4

1, B, Bob Sweeney 9 (Kevin Houle) 1:50; 2, B, Houle 6 (John McLean, B. Sweeney) 5:04; 3, B, Scott Harlow 30 (John McNamara, Ken Hodge) 7:54; 4, B, Harlow 31 (McLean) 17:18. Penalties--Bob Emery, B, (interference) 10:31; Randy Taylor, H, (elbow) 16:15.

Second Period--no scoring. Penalties--Scott Gordon, B, (delay) 10:45; Tim Sweeney, B, (tripping) 16:29; Mark Benning, H, (hooking) 18:11.

Third Period--5, H, Scott Fusco 12 (Lane MacDonald, Benning) 15:30; 6, H, Fusco 13 (Jerry Pawloski, MacDonald) 18:42. Penalties--B. Sweeney, B, (hooking) 1:53; Dan Shea, B, (slashing) 10:19; Gordon, B, (throwing stick) 15:18; Hodge, B, (slashing) 15:40.

Saves--H, Grant Blair 6-6-3--15; B, Gordon 7-11-9--27.

A--14,451.