An Afternoon With the Stars

The scene: a suite overlooking the Public Garden at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Boston. Interview with Cary Elwes and Helena Bonham Carter, stars of the new film Lady Jane opening February 7 exclusively at the USA Copley Place. Tea is served.

Some interesting bits and pieces of our conversation concerning the making of Lady Jane and their roles in the production:

Bonham Carter on the screen as a medium for acting:

"[Because the film's scenes were not shot in order], it was difficult to sustain one's concentration throughout...In contrast with working on the stage, there is no way of developing your work organically...The camera mainly does it for you. It's basically just getting down and doing it."

Bonham Carter and Elwes on the character make-up and appeal of Jane and Guilford:

Bonham Carter:"Guilford is more modern, a bit of a rascal; Jane is rather austere, into Greek and Plato. I suppose that there is the temptation to compare them [as] doomed lovers to Romeo and Juliet, although [Jane and Guilford] did have the option to die, whereas Romeo and Juliet were star-crossed lovers."

Elwes:"After having got hold of biographies, I had wanted to portray Guilford quite differently because his personality had been adapted [to include] strong political beliefs. I had to work hand in hand with David [Edgar] in portraying Guilford, realizing that he could only play for so long before becoming serious."

Bonham Carter and Elwes on working with Director Trevor Nunn and the cast of Lady Jane:

Bonham Carter:"The other actors [John Wood as the Duke of Northumberland, Michael Hordern as Dr. Feckenham, Queen Mary's confessor, Sara Kestelman as Frances Grey, the Duchess of Suffolk etc.] were not intimidating at all; they all knew Trevor. [We would] watch them to pick up clues and technique."

Elwes:"When I heard that he [Trevor] was doing a film, I only wanted to meet him."

A final thought from Elwes on the history behind the film: "...It's difficult to come to terms with it. They were put on the throne, [and then accused of] the crime of the century. The whole idea that she was anything but a traitor was not dealt with at all. [One must] go straight to the historical biographer to get the facts."