Cager Keffer Named First Team All-Ivy

Collins Makes Second Team, Hayes Gets Honorable Mention

By Geoffrey Simon

Sophomore point guard Barbarann Keffer was one of five players selected yesterday to the first team All-Ivy squad for the 1985-'86 season, becoming the first player in Harvard women's basketball history to receive that honor.

Keffer, who also finished second in the Ivy Player of the Year balloting, led the Ivy champion Crimson this season in points per game (11.7), total points (305), assists (108), and steals (54).

Senior forward Anna Collins (8.6 p.p.g., 5.4 r.p.g.) was named to the All-Ivy second team, and sophomore forward Sharon Hayes (10.9 p.p.g., 4.1 r.p.g.) gained honorable mention recognition for the second straight year.

Keffer and Collins were also honorable mention All-Ivy picks last year.

"I'm glad to get the honor," the 5-ft., 6-in. Keffer said. "All that really matters, though, is that we won."

The Broomall, Penn., native received five of a possible six first place votes from the head coaches around the Ivy league.

In addition to being the only guard selected to the first team, Keffer was the only non-senior amongst six Player of the Year candidates.

"Barb is very deserving of this honor," Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith said. "It's more difficult to get recognition as a guard, but Barb proved [to the selection committee] that she is the total player.

"We were the ultimate team in the Ivy League this season," the fourth-year coach continued. "We're a team without superstars so it's really tough to get to the top of the individual stats."

Collins, the forward from Livonia, Mich., started every Harvard game in each of the past two seasons and closed out her Crimson career in third place on the all-time scoring list.

"It's nice to be recognized, but winning the Ivy title and the tournament were the ultimate. This is just icing on the cake," Collins said.

Hayes, the Lexington native who led the cagers in scoring a year ago and was among the league leaders in both field goal and free throw percentage all year long, expressed the same sentiments as Keffer and Collins: "It feels great but it's really just another thing to cap off a great season."

Jayne Daigle, a senior forward from Dartmouth, was picked unanimously for the Ivy Payer of the Year award and was also the only unanimous first team selection.

Daigle led the league in scoring (18.5 p.p.g.), field goal percentage (.536), and free throw percentage (.830), and her selection represents the fifth time in seven years that a Big Green player has captured Player of the Year honors.

Intensity

Joining Keffer and Daigle on the first team are Liz Walter, also of Dartmouth, Kelly LeComte (Yale), and Michelle Smith (Brown).

Walter, also by unanimous vote, took home the Ivy Rookie of the Year award. Harvard's Sarah Duncan--who led the league in blocked shots--finished fifth in that balloting.

Joining Collins on the second team All-Ivy squad are Ellen DeVoe (Princeton), June Stambaugh (Penn), Christa Champion (Brown), Karen Dwyer (Cornell), and Sue Johnson (Yale).