Winthrop House Will Offer Meal Plan To Students Staying For Spring Break

For the second consecutive year, students staying in Cambridge over spring break will have the choice of buying a Harvard meal plan or foraging for themselves.

The spring break meal plan program was implemented last year in response to students' requests, said Richard Monville, manager of College Dining Halls. Two hundred and nineteen students last year signed up for meals, which were offered at Kirkland House, he said.

This year, for $58, students can join the plan and eat lunch and dinner at Winthrop House during vacation.

Although Monville said Wednesday that only "50 or 60 had signed up" for the meals, he expected "considerably more" to register before the beginning of vacation. Benjamin H. Walcott, assistant Director of Dining Services, said that the program will break even if at least 300 students register for the meal plan.

Until last year, students, especially athletes with practice over spring break, had to fend for themselves in finding meals. The meal program was welcome news to many students. "It's justice that there be some kind of provision for meals," said Christopher W. Crutcher '86, a member of the crew team, which has practices during vacation. Crutcher said that meals were supplemented by pasteries from bakeries and other culinary delights rarely seen in Harvard's dining halls.

"Especially for crew people, it's a great convenience," said Ted M. Doolittle '86, who also stayed during last spring break. Before there was a vacation meal plan, he said, "It was kind of a pain--a lot of people would have to store up cereals," even though Friends of Harvard Rowing helped fray some of the costs by giving each oarsman $30 for the week.

Students said having a meal plan over vacation is a good solution to the problem of past years. "I think it's successful," said Monville. Said Crutcher, "[The meal plan] makes a hell of a lot of sense. I'm gonna go for it again."