Icewomen's Lind Top Rookie

Brita Lind, the Harvard women's hockey team's high scoring freshman forward, was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Year yesterday by unanimous vote. Crimson Co-Captain Julie Sasner and standout goalie Jennifer White each earned second team All-Ivy honors, while Lind also received an Honorable Mention.

The announcement marked the second consecutive year that a Crimson icewoman has copped rookie honors. Sasner was last season's Rookie of the Year.

Lind spent the first half of the Crimson campaign adjusting to college hockey, and missed several games in December due to a knee injury. But she emerged as a key offensive force in the late-season Harvard surge that earned the icewomen a spot in the Ivy Tournament. The Saskatchewan. Ont., native finished the year with 14 goals and 15 assists.

Sasner, a sophomore defender, made her second appearance on the All-Ivy team, having garnered first team honors last season. White, a freshman, allowed Harvard's opponents less than two-and-a-half goals a game and looks to be the Harvard goalie of the future.

Mardie Corcoran of Brown was named the Ivy League Player of the Year. The senior forward notched 13 goals and 11 assists in league play while leading the Pandas to the Ivy Title, and was only the second player in Ivy history to be named Player of the Year for two consecutive seasons. Corcoran was joined on the All-Ivy first team by linemate Lisa Bishop.

It was the firepower of Corcoran and Bishop, who combined for seven points, that helped the Pandas overwhelm Harvard in the first round of the Ivy Tournament, 8-2.

Other first-team selections were forward Amy Stanzen and defender Molly Brown of Cornell, defender Patty Kazmier of Princeton, and Goalie Katherine Lo Presti from Cornell.

Lind pointed to the Harvard honors as an indication of future Crimson success. "I think this is just a warning to other teams for next year," she said. "We're going to be cruising."