Unconstitutional

From Our Readers

The following is an open letter addressed to Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III.

As an undergraduate who until recently strongly supported the Undergraduate Council, I am now reluctantly requesting the refund from the budget of that body to which I am entitled.

I was forced into this decision by the inexcusable actions of the chairman and various members of the council at its last meeting. Although the agenda was to debate and approve the Spring Grants Budget, and more than $24,000 of constituents' money would be disbursed, the number of members quickly dwindled to below that necessary for a quorum under the council bylaws (a simply majority). A motion was passed to recess the council for 15 minutes, and when the council reconvened, enough members had been rounded up to allow the UC to continue with its important business.

But once again members began to drift out as the meeting stretched on past midnight. By the time the final vote on the entire $24,000 Grants Budget was about to be made, various council members near me had commented that they did not believe a quorum existed. Despite this no member called for a count of the membership present. As Chairman Brian Offut was about to call the vote, I called "Quorum" and was immediately hissed. Although I persisted, Offut attempted to ignore me, at one point saying: "There seems to be a ringing in my ears." When he finally recognized me he angrily requested that I withdraw my motion. Then realizing that I was not an elected member of the Undergraduate Council, but rather an interested undergraduate, he stated he would ignore my objection and continue with the vote. This despite the fact that it is the duty of the chair to ascertain at all times that a quorum exists. Fortunately, Brian Melendez, one of my representatives, called for a quorum on my behalf.

As the roll call was being taken, more than half a dozen council members approached me, demanding in various tones of civility that I ask Melendez to withdraw the motion. One member even suggested that, since only those at the meeting would know whether a quorum existed, it did not matter. Obviously they feared, as I did, that not enough members were present, yet they wanted to disregard their Constitution and proceed with the meeting anyway. The hisses and angry words which I had received when calling for a quorum indicated to me that the council as a whole agreed.

The roll call found just enough members present for the meeting to continue, and I was personally relieved that the many organizations who had requested funds would be able to receive them without having to wait for the next meeting after Spring Break. Yet the victory was sour. In the belligerent manner in which I was treated for asking that the council follow its own bylaws, the Undergraduate Council proved that it was neither accountable to its constituents nor its Constitution. An elected body which has reached this state has abdicated any claim it may have ever had to legitimacy. It should be dissolved. Short of that, I am forced reluctantly to withdraw my support and request my refund from the Undergraduate Council. Michael H. Sproule '87