Dirty Harry Fails to Materialize

Clint Eastwood didn't make anyone's day yesterday.

Although posters blanketed Harvard Yard advertising Eastwood's 4 p.m. speech at Tercentenary Theatre, there was no evidence there of any celebrity appearance.

The poster announced Eastwood's speech on actors in politics, to be presented by the mysterious group S.W.A.C., which does not exist at Harvard, according to a spokesman at the dean of students' office.

"We're going to hunt them down and cut their right arms off," said President of the Undergraduate Council Brian C. Offutt '87. Although the poster was labeled as council-approved, Offutt said that he never authorized it.

Eastwood's agent, Leonard Hirshan, said that the actor never made plans to appear yesterday in Harvard Square.

"No, he's speaking at Yale," Hirshan said. "April Fool!"

No Takers

There were many students basking in the late afternoon sun at Tercentenary Theatre at 4 p.m., but no one seemed to have come to see Eastwood.

"I think most people caught on," said Irfan S. Ali '89, who was reading on the lawn with roommates. Amy B. Zegart '89 was also sitting in the sun, anddidn't expect Eastwood to show.

"I wouldn't want to see Squinty Clinty anyway,"she said.

Harvard Lampoon President Daniel J. Greaney'86-'87 refused to confirm suspicions about themagazine's role, saying that he knew nothing aboutthe posters. But then he yelled to his partners inpun, "Hey, does anyone else here want to commenton those posters we hung?"

There was at least one April Fool's Daybeliever in Harvard Yard, however. "I reallythought he was coming," said Marcus Q. Mitchell'89. "Didn't you just see all of the limos inTercentenary Theatre?