Harvard Receives Most In Non-Federal Funding

By Matthew A. Saal

For the 23rd time in nearly three decades, Harvard last year received more money in contributions than any other university in the nation, according to the latest tally by the Council for Economic Aid to Education.

Harvard garnered $145.6 million, topping runner-up Stanford by more than $20 million, the private, New York-based group found.

The council's report, which will be issued next month, reflects figures from 1984-85, the latest available records.

Alumni donations totalling $56.2 million and foundation grants of $32.9 million accounted for more than half of Harvard's total share. Corporations gave $28.4 million, while non-alumni individuals contributed $17.2. Other donors, including various associations, totalled $11.0 million.

"Harvard has very loyal alumni, a lot of rich friends, and an excellent fundraising network," said the Council Vice President Anne F. Decker, explaining the consistent level of contributions to the University. "Also, a lot of foundations want to support Harvard because the educational programs there are so interesting," said Decker, who oversaw the report's preparation.

John Shattuck, Harvard's vice president for government and public affairs, also attributed much of Harvard's fundraising success to alumni support.

"Private donations are most significant for Harvard. Corporate donations, while significant, aren't as important," Shattuck said. Harvard came in seventh in corporate contributions.

"Harvard alumni are extremely important to the quality of education here," Shattuck said. They have been "impressedby the fact that Harvard has a need-blindadmissions policy" and by the University'swidespread financial aid grants, he said.

In addition, Shattuck said that "there is asense that Harvard is a preeminent institutionthat is worth supporting."

The last time Harvard did not receive the mostdonations was in 1979-80, when Emory Universityreceived a $100 million grant. Harvard finishedsecond that year, Decker said.

Fred L. Glimp '50, vice president for alumniaffairs and development, said some alumnicontributions to the $350 Harvard Campaign, whichended in 1984 after raising $359 million, arereflected in the report. "Over the past sevenyears our total receipts have been going up fairlyrapidly, largely because of the campaign," Glimpsaid.

But Glimp added that several faculties notincluded in the fund drive, such as law andmedicine, also showed increases.

The report also showed that universities havebeen receiving more corporate contributions inrecent years. The 13 percent rise reflected in thestudy means that corporations now donate $6.32billion annually to universities.

The University has managed to escape manyadverse effects of recent cuts in federal aid toeducation because of generous alumni and asuccessful endowment, now at $3.5 billion,Shattuck said. The size of donations means Harvardcan rely less than other schools on federal aid