Batsmen Split in Season Finale

ERA Ace Remlinger Chalks One Up for Dartmouth in Opener

By Casey J. Lartigue

In the final day of the season, the Harvard baseball team split a double-header with the Big Green from Dartmouth Saturday at Soldier Field.

The twin-bill featured quality pitching by both teams, including an old-fashioned pitching duel between Dartmouth's Mike Remlinger and Chris Marchok in the first game.

Dartmouth 2, Harvard 1

In the opening game, the Crimson faced Remlinger, the national leader with a 1.19 earned run average, who had stuck out 97 batters in 67 innings. He improved on those figures Saturday as he allowed only three hits and struck out 12 Crimson batters (Harvard's lone run was unearned).

The sophomore had a no-hitter until the third inning when Dave Jamieson legged out an infield single. Jamieson moved to second after an errant pick off attempt and scored on a passed ball.

"He's real tough," Jamieson said, "He threw a lot of off-speed stuff and once you are off-balance, he will throw his fastball. He's an all-around good pitcher."

The Crimson was unable to muster any more runs and the Remlinger-led Dartmouth won, 2-1. Marchok went the distance for the Crimson, allowing nine hits while seeing his season's mark fall to 2-3.

Harvard 5, Dartmouth 1

In the nightcap, an opportunistic Crimson squad scored five runs on only six hits and won, 5-1. The batsmen also continued their good pitching as Greg Ubert and Kevin Curtin combined for a six-hitter with Curtin improving his record to 5-3.

The Crimson trailed, 1-0, when Frank Caprio led off the third with a walk. Dave Jamieson executed a hit-and-run, moving Caprio to third. Caprio scored on a sacrifice fly by Rich Renninger to tie the score at one.

The fifth inning was almost a replay of the third. Caprio was hit by a pitch, went to third on a single by Jamieson, and scored the game-winner on Renninger's second sacrifice fly of the game. This time however, Jamieson wasn't left on base as he stole second on a pitchout and scored on senior Paul Vallone's hit, upping the lead to 3-1.

The steal was Jamieson's first of the season. "I don't have great wheels," Jamieson said. "I was surprised they pitched out on me, but I slid around the tag.

Jim Depalo added a solo homer in the sixth. Senior Chris McAndrews scored the final run in the seventh when he walked, stole second and reached home on a passed ball.

The Crimson finished the season 19-11 (11-9 in EIBL play) and a third place tie with Cornell behind champion Navy and runner-up Columbia.

"We had a young team," Captain Bob Kay said, "All things considered, we had a successful season."

The game on Saturday was the last for seniors Vallone, McAndrews, Doug Sutton, Chris McAndrews, and Jeff Hall and Kay. The teams they played on fashioned a 103-34 record in four years.