In Defense

From Our Readers

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The complaint in your article on the History Department (February 11) seems to be that the "fabulous" courses we offer are not given every year; it is further stated that courses make "seemingly random appearances," and that this makes it difficult for students to plan their schedules.

It is, in fact, not possible for all our courses to be offered every year. Most of the members of the department teach 4-6 undergraduate courses over a two-year period. We give graduate colloquia, and seminars for our graduate students. We offer so many undergraduate courses because we want to ensure a variety of coverage. But no one can give all of his or her graduate and undergraduate courses every year. Furthermore, when faculty members go on leave, as they must, in order to do research, their courses are bracketed.

Are courses bracketed randomly, and is it a disservice to list bracketed courses? I suggest that the turnover in courses is neither random nor unstable. We try to ensure that the sequence of courses in every field is rational, and serves the needs of the students. We aim at giving students the opportunity to take virtually all of the courses we offer over a two-year period. Listing bracketed courses, far from being a disservice to students allows them to plan their schedules properly, over time.

The History Department has one of the largest course offerings in the university (almost 80 undergraduate courses annually); it has the largest participation in the Core Program; and it maintains a large graduate program. I fail to see the usefulness of sensationalism in place of information. Angeliki E. Laiou   Chairman Department of History