Burnes Honored as Sailors Take Third

By Michael J. Lartigue

The Harvard varsity sailing team wrapped up a successful weekend by taking third place in the New England Dinghy Championship at Brown University.

The third place finish qualified the sailors for the North American Dinghy Championships (Nationals) in June.

In the A divison, Harvard skipper Gordon Burnes sailed with three different crews--Beth Pryor, Petra Schumann and Jeff Kurland.

Burnes nabbed the third highest vote total in the All-American student balloting. The vote results qualify him for a spot on the All New England Sailing Team and consideration in future balloting.

Burnes and his crews wiped out the competiton by tallying 45 points, good enough for a first place tie. Burnes placed first in three of the 12 races.

Peter Wagner and Jeff Kurland sailed the first 10 races for the Crimson in the B divison, while John Pernick and Beth Pryor sailed the last two.

The different duo combinations racked up 75 points for the Crimson, to finish fifth.

Its 120 points overall placed the Crimson behind Tufts (115) and Brown (86). Meanwhile, B.U.--one of the top teams in the nation--lagged behind to finish fourth in the field of 14.

Tune-Up

The Harvard women's sailing team got its last competitive tune-up before June's Nationals.

The "Radcliffe Salts" showed why they will be a force to be reckoned with at Nationals, as they finished second in the Regis Bowl at Wheaton College.

Dartmouth placed first with 11 points, four points ahead of the Crimson.