Class Day Finishes Seniors' Week of Fun

Ueberroth, Harvard, Radcliffe, and Ivy Orators to Speak Today

By John C. Yoo

During freshman week four years ago the Class of '86 crowded the Science Center to see "Love Story," Tercentenary Theater to hear the presidents of Harvard and Radcliffe, and the Union to dance.

This week, after months spent writing these, taking general exams, and searching for jobs, freshman week is here again. But now it's called Senior Week, and it culminates today with Class Day.

"Commencement is an event for the whole University: the faculty, undergraduates, grad schools, and alumni," said class marshal Joel A. Getz '86. "Class Day is specifically for the graduating seniors, it's a chance for our class to be together one last time."

The main event of today's festivities is a guest address by the Commissioner of Major League Baseball and organizer of the 1984 Olympics Peter V. Ueberroth (see profile on page 11). Ueberroth was chosen by members of the class committee as "someone who will be generally light and will inject humor into the proceedings," says Diane Jellis, an organizer of Senior Week with the Alumni Office.

Seniors, selected by the class committee after a rigorous competition, will deliver the Harvard, Radcliffe, and Ivy Orations before Ueberroth takes the stage.

"I'm a little worried about Peter's speech," says Ari Z. Posner '86, who will give the traditionally humorous Ivy Oration. "The last time the commissioner spoke in public, 15 people caught baseball fever and had to be rushed to the hospital."

After Getz opens the day with a short speech, President-elect of the Harvard Alumni Association Alice-Mary Mafrey Talbot '60 and President of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association Rosalind E. Gorin '66 will welcome the graduating seniors to the body of Harvard andRadcliffe alumni.

After Dean of Students Archie C. Epps IIIpresents the Ames Award for public service to anas yet unnamed senior, Elizabeth Young '85-'86will give the Radcliffe oration and Jeff M. Rosen'86 will give the Harvard Oration. Both orationsare traditionally serious reflections on theHarvard-Radcliffe experience.

Posner will follow with a look at the lighterside of Harvard in his Ivy Oration. AfterUeberroth speaks, class marshal Anne C. Bailey '86will present a few closing remarks before theclass choristers lead everyone in singing "FairHarvard."

"This year's Ivy oration is an exception toother years, it's going to be funny," deadpansPosner, who wrote his nine-page speech one monthago. "In previous years it's been givenexclusively by short Jewish men with glasses, butthis year they've let me do it," says Posner.

Harvard Orator Rosen plans to speak on thelegacy of the Puritans. "The speech talks aboutthe Puritan legacy and how the students of the1980s are trying to cope with the burden of the1960s," said Rosen, who will deliver a modifiedversion of the speech at the 350th celebrationthis fall.

"My speech will contrast and compare theRadcliffe woman's experience today with that ofher mother's generation and of her malecounterparts," said Young, who co-wrote heroration with Toba E. Spitzer '85-'86. "The lastpart will be a call to action for women to fightdiscrimination by breaking down the barriersfacing them today," she said.

Class Day will top off a week of activitiesdesigned to give members of the Class of 1986 fondmemories of their last days as undergraduates.Graduating seniors kicked off Senior Week withfood, sports, and games behind the Palmer DixonCourts on Senior Activities Day on May 27.

The following night, 900 seniors and theirguests boogied the night away with Robespierre atthe "The Last Dance" in the Marriot Copley, andSunday night, it was the Science Center for a lastviewing of "Love Story."

After the popular Monday night "booze cruise"in Boston harbor with each drink carrying a pricetag of $2.75, Presidents Derek C. Bok and MatinaS. Horner addressed the class yesterday duringBaccalaureate services in Memorial Chapel. Atraditional clambake and the Harvard Night at theBoston Pops for seniors, family, and friends lastnight concluded events leading up to Class Day.

"It's going to be a terrific, exciting, day,"says Getz of Class Day. "It's one last time forour class to be together, and yet also look aheadto the future.