Doing the Ivy League Shuffle

Anne Kelly

Consider the fact that Anne Kelly scored only one goal in her two-year Harvard field hockey career.

Then consider the fact that she averaged just 2.6 points per game in her three-year Harvard women's basketball career.

Now consider the fact that Kelly served as co-captain for both of those squads her senior year.

"Anne is one of the most wonderful captains we've ever had here," Crimson women's basketball Coach Kathy Delaney Smith says. "She is the kind of athlete where you can never replace the intangibles she brings to the team."

Kelly, one of the masterminds behind the cagers' "Ivy League Shuffle" rap video and an instant spark off the bench, helped Harvard to a share of its first-ever Ivy League basketball title this past season.

"It means a lot to have not played that much yet still to have been considered an important part of the team," the biology major says. "It's nice that they noticed me, even if I wasn't always on the court."

Kelly attributes much of what she has learned on the court to her brothers and sisters.

All nine of them.

"I was the youngest, so they would try to take advantage of me by always going for lay-ups--so I had to foul them all the time," she says.

In field hockey, the Winthrop House resident stood out on defense, keeping the Crimson--which suffered through a poor 3-8-4 campaign--in many contests with her aggressive play.

Kelly will take her leadership abilities back home to Garden City, N.Y., where she will teach math, and coach field hockey and girl's basketball at her former high school next fall. She calls those plans "a great chance to relax" before pursuing medical school goals the following year.