Confidence

Harvard Rugby

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

The foundation is set. The rebuilding is over.

After two off years, the Harvard rugby club is poised to challenge for the Ivy Championship and possibly reclaim the NCAA title it won in 1984.

Last year's rebuilding season featured the return of only six A-side members. The inexperience was evident--the Crimson did not qualify for the New England Championships for the first time this decade, and lost the Ivy League title game to Brown for the second consecutive year.

This year, however, "we return 35 letterman with game experience," Coach Martyn Kingston says, "and that is a great platform to build on for the Championship. I'm confident in the team and they're confident in their play."

One reason for the confidence may be the first-ever pre-season practice held for rugby. "These are the best practices I've seen since I've been here," Co-Captain Ray LaRaja says. "There is almost a cocky attitude, which is good because rugby is an arrogant sport with a lot of intimidation."

Another booster was the team's trip to France in March, LaRaja says: "It was a real confidence-builder. We played well and got to see top-notch teams."

Kingston draws similarities between Harvard's 1984 NCAA winner and this year's edition. "The team gets along as a group, just as in 1984. We are also learning to take the game seriously," Kingston says.

The road to the New England Championships doesn't lead far away--the event will be held at Soldiers Field--but the path won't be easy; the ruggers must get through the tough fall schedule that Kingston arranged.

"The tough schedule is on purpose. I have high expectations for this team," Kingston says.